Thursday, November 1, 2007

iHCPL: Week 8: #18 Social Networking: Making friends in the comfort of your own home

I watched the video -- Social Networking in Plain English; I took the Facebook tour, and I read the Newsweek article on the growth of Facebook. Then I looked around:

MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/ I just don't get it. When I read People magazine at least I don't have to deal with the pop-up ads.

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ I took the tour but I still can't answer the question, why? Why would I want to do this? Is it like an ongoing once a year Christmas letter? I also can't figure out what to do with it. If I want to stay in touch with people, I call them on the phone, or write them a letter, or send them an e-mail. I have an account because a colleague invited me to join the Urban Public Library Group, but I seldom check it, and when I do there's nothing new there. (Cheese to go with the whine may be found below)

Nevertheless, I am determined to crack the esoteric group known as Harris County Public Library, and I shall persevere until successful. And I’m sending an invitation to my kids – they’ll know how this thing works.


No comments: