Monday, November 26, 2007

iHCPL: Week 10: #23 Is this really the end? Or just the beginning...

What, in addition to the how to do it skills, did I learn during these weeks? I learned that:


  • I was unable to keep my vow of “If I don’t have anything nice to say I shall remain silent on the subject”
  • Wikis are wonderful!!!
  • I love LOL cats.
Funny Pictures
moar funny pictures
  • Aggregators and RSS and newsreaders have given me more news than I can keep up with.
  • Wired magazine is still more fun in print than online.
  • I am ready to devote much time to the delights of LibraryThing, but I remain a tagging agnostic.
  • Flickr is a pain in the aperture, and online photo editing tools don’t do much.
  • Online document apps are sloooooooooooooooooooow.
  • I do not fit the Technorati market profile, and Avatars don’t have anything in my size.
  • YouTube was a wonderful treasure trove of helpful video bits. I am still inspired by the piano playing cat.
  • Podcasting, however, hasn't won me over yet.
  • I discovered my learning style: I learn by compulsive reading followed by mutterings and grumblings rising in pitch to expletives as my attempts to operate the machinery do not produce the desired results. After giving myself a helpful time-out for therapeutic sulking, I return to the task and the software performs exactly as anticipated.

The surprise from this program was how much camaraderie the program engendered among the members of the staff as they worked together and taught each other.


What I have yet to discover is:

  • Will I find Facebook a useful way to keep up with friends and colleagues ?
  • When my downloaded file of Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, read by Susan O’Malley expires will the CDs that I copied it onto so I could listen to it in the car also self-destruct? Will I have to clean messy melted petrochemical mess out of my car?

No comments: