Thursday, April 29, 2010

iHCPL The Web According to Google #85: Resistance is Futile

1. What Google products do you use on a regular basis? Why do you use them and what makes them better than a competing product?

Google [the search engine]
If there’s an answer or a bit of information on the web, Google finds it. Over the past few years I have also tried Agent 55 and Mamma Metasearch, which will generally turn up what I need because they include Google in their searches. Wolfram|Alpha has never returned a relevant answer for me. Quintura has an interesting way of displaying results. Bing is just a Google wannabe.

Gmail My personal e-mail, cheap, and it presorts all the commercial e-mails and political e-mails into folders so I can quickly scan and dispose of them.

Blogger My blog for iHCPL. I have not tried any other ones.

Reader I use this aggregator for my RSS feeds., alas so much to read so little time! 789 posts! How could that many aggregate is less than a week? I use it because I can’t find the time to try anything else.




2. Check out Google Labs. Did you see any new products that you want to try
?

No, I can’t think of any use that I could make of any of these.

3. Search or browse Google Books. Do they have the book or magazine you looked for?

Yes there was a copy of Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I am listening to an audio version of this book now, and I wondered how some of the proper nouns were spelled. So I was able to discover how Doc Daneeka’s name and the imaginary island of Pianosa were spelled.

Did you find any gems? How can this be used in the library?

The ability to search the full text of a book is an excellent and fast way to find a specific fact in a book, especially if I’m trying to find a particular passage in a fiction book. Since the vast majority of them have no index, Google Books is the concordance to them. Amazon can also be used this way, although its coverage is limited to select in print works.

1 comment:

Librarian D.O.A. said...

Nice Borg reference, Bruce.

It looks like you're working through a version of our Minnesota 23 Things on a Stick.

I learned alot and hope you're enjoying it. It certainly looks like it.