Thursday, February 25, 2010

iHCPL The Future of Media #81: Get Out Your Crystal Ball


Wall Street Guru Ball

Exercises

1. Which of the developments listed above do you think will have the most influence? Is there a new technology you have been following that you think will have more effect? Discuss it in your post.

I think the price of energy, especially electricity, will have the greatest impact on any of these technologies. It's the Achilles’ heel of all the new whiz-bang stuff. It's great until the power goes out and then it completely disappears. Moore’s Law is a trend that has held true in the recent past in a part of the world that's used to relatively inexpensive power. It's not a trend that will trump supply and demand, as demand for power increases in the developing world the price of it may go up steeply.

2. Are you an early adopter of every gadget or do you have fond memories of technologies from the past? What is your favorite media gadget or which outdated format do you miss the most? Describe it in your post.

I bought a felt-tipped pen when they first came out and an itty-bitty computer that I could stuff in my briefcase as soon as I could, but those are exceptions to my usual mode of wait five years until they get the bugs worked out. I’m still pining for my old 35mm Single Lens Reflex camera that used black and white film.

I am ready to be an early adopter of any of these life enhancing gadgets should they come to market:

- Ballpoint pen with automatic spell check
- Fat-eating chocolate milkshake
- App to retrieve personal email accidentally sent to listserv before any recipient has read it


No comments: