Tuesday, January 26, 2010

iHCPL Searching #77: Images

Exercises

1. Using
AllFreeClipArt, how many clicks did it take to get to a color Santa that doesn’t look like a troll?

Since “Your search - Santa not troll - did not match any documents.” I tried the directory for Christmas, and found this:


It was indexed as a mouse, but I think it looks more like a bear in a beard. I guess he’s holding a piece of cheese. I thought it was a package with polka-dot wrapping paper. It took me 9 minutes and 42,000 clicks (most of them circular, returning me back to the home page again and again) because I wasn’t able to figure out how to get a copy that wasn’t a cropped screen print. Then I remembered to right click the mouse to get the picture of the mouse-bear Santa. But he’s definitely not a troll. I could not find any information on the site that told me how to credit the picture

2. Read “10 Places to Find Free Images Online”. Blog about 2 of the sites listed.

I tried Fotogenika.net , but found it to be of little use for images. It was a directory of photography services from the location of Target Photo Centers to Houston Helicopter Rides : Aerial Photography, Rides. Wedding & Engagement Flights. I think Loren Baker’s statement that, “The site is well organized,” is misleading. It is well organized if you are looking for a photographer, but of little use if you are searching for a photograph.

Then I went to FreeDigitalPhotos. I was gratified that under the Category Animals there was a selection of Squirrel photographs. However, the terms of use required that I credit “Photograph uploaded by FreeDigitalPhotos.net Admin” and the name of the photographer, but no name for a photographer was not listed. Which was frustrating at first until I looked at the sidebar to the right, and clicked on the Acknowledgement Required, which said, ” This photo has been uploaded by FreeDigitalPhotos.net staff and only requires a general link. There is no photographer name available for this particular image.” It also included a required link back in HTML to


Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

3. Try logging in to the clip art program for HCPL use. Each branch has their own login and password you can get from your branch librarian. Find an illustration that could be used for a program at your branch and add it to your blog. Be sure to credit that piece.



I used this for my Take Me to Your Reader posting about YA Science Fiction Graphic Novels on January 8, 2010, but I had forgotten to use the credit, so I went back and fixed it. It now displays with the “@jupiterimages” credit.

No comments: