Sunday, February 22, 2009

Books, Readers and Beyond: #54 Social Networking Through Books Exercise Three


Search for one of the books you selected in the first post on at least two of the social networks. Do the ratings for the book differ on each site, or are they similar? Did you find anything surprising?

Going back to iHCPL Books, Readers and Beyond: #52 What to Read Exercise 1 I picked Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson, one of the read-alikes for Margaret Drabble’s The Witch of Exmoor.

I tried goodreads first and hit the jackpot. There were “1,564 ratings, 3.90 average rating, 236 reviews” The site’s rating system is a scale of one to five stars, one star = didn’t like it to five stars = it was amazing. So, depending on the reader’s tastes the reviews went from “I can't even begin to express my depth of loathing for this book. … Gaaaah! I left it behind on a plane somewhere. Should have attached a toxic warning label.” to the more enthusiastic, “I loved this book so much that I slowed down in the middle for fear of finishing it.”

Next, I tried Readerville Note:books. There, only one person had commented on the book, “I almost completely loved this book; instead I just really liked it, and will happily recommend it to many.” To me this read like a confirmation of the goodreads 3.90 average rating, poised between 3 stars (liked it) and almost, but not quite 4 stars (really liked it).



No comments: