Monday, March 31, 2008

iHCPL Spring Cleaning #30: Take a Load Off Our Drives

Exercise:
1. If you have never used the S: drive, place a file there. Then go back and delete the file.

I have extensive experience with the S drive. It’s where I put the current illustrated edition of the agenda for the next branch meeting. When I post a new one; I delete the old one. I’ve also used it to share work with other committee members for One Desk, Roving Reference, and Staff Awards and for sharing pictures of furniture, furnishing, and equipment with branch librarians. For LPC and iHCPL I use their respective wikis.

2. Look over the P: drive and see if you have created any and determine what can be deleted/moved and if need be combine into a new folder for better organization.

Much to my surprise the P drive has flown under my radar since I started working here. I see it every day when I use Explorer (formerly known as Windows Explorer) to navigate my computer, but I’ve never had any occasion to use it. So I had nothing to clean out.

3. Repeat step 2 with your personal folder on the Z: drive. Write an entry in your blog about what you found. What was the oldest file you were able to delete or move to another location? Did you find you were more organized than you thought?

This was like cleaning out the basement of the old home in Tennessee before I moved to Texas. However, I’d lived there for thirteen years and I’ve only been here for two-and-a-half. How did all this stuff accumulate? Surely somebody else must have saved some of those files. I never checked those files out of the library; I don’t even recognize them; I don’t even read files like that, and besides I retuned them on top of the bookdrop at least six weeks ago during the big rainstorm. [<-- Library humor :)] I arranged all the folders and files by date and worked my way through them from oldest to most current. I either deleted or moved to my portable jump drive anything that I thought might be useful in the future. I saved 44,171,264 bytes of space on the Z drive and added only 7,948,439 bytes to my jump drive. I plan to trade in the 36 million plus bytes profit I made for one hour of training credit.

The oldest file I found was a Word document "Combining School and Public Libraries" 33KB last modified at 3:33 PM on May 9, 1997.

No comments: